Sunday, June 13, 2010

Glenfiddich Single Malt Scotch Whiskey


I was never much of a whiskey drinker, and honestly never really enjoyed it. I’d always gulp it and then breath out the burning fumes. Uggh!!! My friend Juan would always remark how much he enjoyed Scotch and would always stand there with the same drink for most of the night just sipping away. My image of a Scotch drinker was always that old guy with the portly belly, rosey cheeks and bulbous whiskey nose. Juan is far from my imagined stereotype, as he’s in his early 20’s and a physical and health fanatic.

Coming home from work one day, I ran into a Trader Joes market just to grab a bottle of tequila, and just spontaneously grabbed the Glenfiddich 12 year old Scotch. Took it home, poured it in glass and took a slow sip and swirled it around my tongue. Oh the complex flavors and noted 3 steps of taste! I detected sweet butterscotch and hints of fruit. What a blissful state of surprise. Then I tried it with slightly warmer than room temperature water as I was told it allows you to better experience the flavors. It was very enjoyable, but I prefer it without the water.

Amongst Scotch drinkers, it’s about a 50/50 split who drink it neat and for those that add water. Add natural spring water if you can, adding tap water will ruin the flavors. Drinking it from any glass is perfectly fine, but if you can use a tulip shaped glass, it definitely helps with the swirling and aroma release.

Glenfiddich has Scotch that range from affordable 12 years old to 50 years old that is over $15,000.00 dollars! The 12 y.o. is around $20, 15 y.o. in the $40 range and the 18 y.o. in the $60 range. These are all generally available at your local stores.

Glenfiddich

No comments:

Post a Comment