Sunday, July 11, 2010

Inexpensive Beer Week In Review

it's for dad blog inexpensive beer week in review

What a week in drinking beers that were all under $4 for a six pack. Most beers now are effectively $1.25-$1.50 each, as the average price for a sixer is about $7-$9 at your average grocery store. Factor in the recycling fees and the tax, you can add another $1 to that. If you're a heavy drinker, it could get expensive really quick.

If you're on a budget, you don't always have to sacrifice quantity for quality. Most of these beers are easily drinkable and likable, especially drinking these in the summer where you don't really need a full bodied and full flavored beer. Although I don't recommend drinking too much beer on a hot day, as all you'll do is dehydrate yourself even faster and get a headache, but when it's hot outside, nothing feels better than to sit there and grab a few to pound away.

Some of these really surprised me, while others I knew all along is something I should've just passed on. The one beer I really enjoyed and was a big surprise was the Trader Joe's Trader Jose Dark Lager. I don't think that would be more than $5 on average, however it sucks for people who don't live near a Trader Joe's market.

If given the choice to pick my best beer out of the ones I went over that could be found everywhere, it would have to be the Pabst Blue Ribbon in a bottle. It's inexpensive and easily drinkable. It goes well with BBQ foods and cleanses the palate after biting into that greasy rib. The Schlitz classic beer is a very close runner up, but my understanding is the Schlitz that is available at most stores is currently the Schlitz malt liquors, and not the classic lagers. They are still rolling them out to different markets. So until that is widely available, it's going to have to sit second to PBR bottles.

For $0.50 a can, two quarter coins here, you really can't beat Simpler Times for both taste and affordability. I can enjoy those whenever I want as I have a few Trader Joe's around me. That my inexpensive beer for summer drinking!

Next week, I'm going to cover the various types of uncommon meat you can buy like wild game and farm raised exotics. No chicken, beef or pork!

If you need a recap:

Red Oval Classic

Simpler Times Pilsner

Pabst Blue Ribbon bottles

Schlitz Classic Beer

Keystone Light

Trader Jose Dark Lager


No comments:

Post a Comment