Thursday, July 8, 2010

Inexpensive Beer Week - Schlitz Beer

schlitz beer it's for dad blog inexpensive beer week

I've never really ever paid attention to this beer and never thought much about it. I don't really ever remember seeing this in the grocery store, although I think I've seen this in the corner liquor stores a few times. Unfortunately I don't have a bottle or can in hand right now to drink and write about it, so I'm going to have to go on memory on this. Luckily I don't have to remember too far as it was only 2 weeks ago I got a pint during happy hour.

I go up to the guy at the bar and was about to order my go to beer, Fat Tire amber ale. John who was with me points out excitedly that they had Schlitz on tap! "Dude, try the Schlitz with me!"

What? What shit you want me to try?

"No you dumbass, I said Schlitz! They have Schlitz beer on tap. Here, I'll buy the first round."

How can I say "no" right? The bartender puts the overflowing beer in front of us and silly me, I drink it right away with lots of foam. Uggh! The initial taste wasn't anything strong that stood out immediately. It was like a clean, "old" style beer. I noticed what I thought was a corn flavor with some nice detectable hops. The corn wasn't strong like how a Corona beer is. I wasn't really trying to taste the beer, but rather just drink it since we were at happy hour. The foam went down relatively quickly in my glass and I drank it again. It's an easy drinking beer that goes down smoothly with a slightly refreshing taste. I drank the rest of it slowly and with the warm room, when I got to the bottom of the glass most of the carbonation fizzled already and lost the crispness. My fault really for letting it sit so long.

John started mentioning when he use to pick up a few cases of these, they were really inexpensive to get. He and his brothers would grab these on the way to hang out at the lake, throw them out to people and make new friends. Since the beers were so affordable, he never really thought much about handing them out to strangers.

I didn't realize Schlitz was that inexpensive. For the refreshingly simple American beer taste, I can see myself buying this again when I see it in the stores. Like their logo states: The beer that make Milwaukee famous.

Schlitz Beer

No comments:

Post a Comment