Monday, July 5, 2010

Inexpensive Beer Week - Red Oval Beer

inexpensive beer week red oval beer
photo from www.flickr.com/photos/buffaloted/

This week, I'm going to cover beers I picked up that hopefully is decent and drinkable. After every bottle and can I drink of my favorite beers, I look at it and think there goes a dollar. It's one thing to slowly drink and enjoy the taste, and it's another when it's hot in the summer and you just want to quench your thirst with some beer. Since you're hot and thirsty, you're mostly going to pound the drink and drink a few in a short time span. Your beer drinking can get really expensive quickly!

I'm a slow beer drinker and drink it for the taste and relaxation. I'm not looking to get drunk or get a heavy buzz going. Most times, I'll only drink 2 to 3 beers in a day when I do drink. I see some of my other friends will finish a 12 pack by himself in one long afternoon. I figure by the 3rd or 4th beer, it's probably not going to matter what you're drinking, and instead of pissing $12-$15 dollars out for that 12-pack, how about if we can cut the costs in half?

I actually want to title it Cheap Beer Week, but with the word cheap, most people don't think of decent drinkable beers and brush it off due to price points. I went to my local Trader Joe's market and saw a can with what I thought was Red Stripe beer. I looked closer and thought maybe Red Stripe is marketing some new beer. Then I saw the price for $2.99! That's right folks, $2.99, that's 50 cents a beer! Sure, why not, if it's horrible, I'll just give it away to my friends.

Since Trader Joe's don't refrigerate the beers, I had to wait a while as I put these in my fridge before I could try this out. There's nothing fancy about the packaging. It kind of reminds me of something Laverne & Shirley would drink, as a no frills beer. The can says it's brewed in Monroe, Wisconsin. There isn't anything that say it's crafted beer, handed down from immigrant great great grandparents that were brewmasters or anything to romanticize it. It's just simple beer, Red Oval Classic Lager.

I crack open a can, take a quick whiff of the smell and don't notice anything skunky. I can see a little foam inside the can, but nothing too foamy like cracking a Bud or Miller. Take the can to the head and sip it to have it wash over my tongue. Hmmm, is that grape juice without the sugary taste I'm detecting in the early stages of the sip? It's like a very light pilsner beer with hints of purple grape and then finishes with a lingering taste. The lingering taste isn't bad, like how malt liquor beers lingers, or even like how a MGD lingers. No bittery hoppy taste, or sweet malty aftertaste either.

I'm going to chug it now. It's surprisingly easy to drink. I'm down to about 1/4 of the can now and no ugly facial expression after. It's almost too easy to drink! This is definitely a summer beer to drink on a hot day when you're outside doing something. You can go buy a 6-pack for $2.99 and then go do some yardwork, and most likely you'll finish the entire pack without realizing it. It's just that easy to drink.

I can't see myself drinking this with my food like I would with other craft beers. But this is a very easy to drink and simple beer that you can like. Very little info is available on this brand, and all I could find is it's made by the Minhas Craft Brewery. The 2nd oldest beer company in the United States with the company being founded in 1845. This might be just a special one off brand exclusive to Trader Joe's as seems to have been released sometime last year.

My verdict is: Buy!

Minhas Brewery



No comments:

Post a Comment