Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Inexpensive Beer Week - Simpler Times Pilsner

simpler times beer it's for dad inexpensive beer week
image from flickr.com/photos/bitchcakes

Here's another Trader Joe's beer that is brewed by the Minhas Craft Brewery, called Simpler Times. The same company that makes Red Oval Beer that I covered yesterday. The beer comes in both a pilsner and lager. The one I'm drinking today is the pilsner variety, because if the same label has a pils or lager, I'm going to lean on the pilsner simply because the chances of getting a skunky beer is higher in my experience with lagers.

Just like Red Oval, the price is right at $2.99 for a 6-pack can. The can opens with a fresh "psshht" sound when you pop the tab. You can see a quick foamy head before it settles down inside the can. Now, I'm not going to pour this into a glass, because really, it's not a high craft beer to enjoy the colors, smell and sights. It's not a Guinness! It's a beer meant to drink straight out of the can.

The initial taste is like a super dry Japanese beer without the full taste. It cleanses and tingles as it goes over the tongue, and goes down the throat pretty easy without giving a foamy sensation. It's not bad at all. It does leave you with a lingering malt taste, almost like you ate a piece of bread and it's coated on your tongue. It's not too strong of a linger and it's not bothersome either.

I've had a few 6-pack of Simpler Times before and I have yet to find a skunky one. It's kind of a refreshing beer, but it doesn't give the satisfaction of a full tasting pilsner at the end. Because of that lack of satisfaction, I find myself grabbing for another one. Remember, I don't usually drink more than 2 or 3 beers in a day when I do drink, so I can see myself finishing the 6-pack pretty easy on any given afternoon or evening.

The alcohol content is 5.5%, so it's typical for American beers. You can get a typical buzz going if that is what you are after. I can't speak of how a hangover feels because I've never drank enough Simpler Times to get one. Before you yell at me a hangover is a hangover, I can tell a difference when I've had a hangover that feels like a crap beer headache and one that I'm just dehydrated from the alcohol.

I just finished the first can, and will go get another one now. Hold on a second. Okay, this second one I'm going to pound about 2/3 of the can with one swig. Ahhhh, feels nice and easily drinkable. Oh, the gassy burp! Better to burp now, than fart in the middle of the night!

When I was walking away from the beer aisle, I put the 6-pack on top of my basket. A lady comes running over, and excitedly ask where did I get that and is there more? Umm, it's right there on the top shelf.

"Oh good! They're not out!" she says.

Minhas Craft Brewery - Simpler Times Beer


No comments:

Post a Comment