Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Different Meat Week - Ostrich Meat

ostich meat it's for dad different meat week
image footosvanrobin

I thought the title states "ostrich meat", why is there a picture of a beef steak?

Ah-hah! So you think it's beef steak, but that is actually ostrich meat!

But isn't ostrich a bird, just a really big bird, so wouldn't the meat be white like chicken?

No, the meat is actually red meat just like beef. It's a very lean meat, so if you thought you had to be careful with bison meat to not overcook it and dry it out, you have to be a little more careful than bison when it comes to ostrich. It will get dry and tough if you don't pay attention to what you are doing.

Not only does it look like beef, it has a similar taste to beef. No special handling, worry of e. coli, or salmonella contamination like you would normally have with chicken. Just handle it like you would with any other beef cuts.

Unfortunately, as much as I would like to have had a fresh cut of ostrich steak to try out, the local stores only had frozen ostrich ground hamburger shaped patties. What a disappointment! Well, what can you do, except just buy it and see how it comes out.

Many years ago, I was passing through the Santa Maria, CA, area and they had a few ostrich farms along the way. Like any tourist, I stopped by the side of the road and tried to take a few pictures of them. I even tried to come up to one that was hanging along the fenced area near the road. Stupidly I tried to feed it one Cheetos, and held the bag in the other hand. I'm sure if the farmer saw me, he would've scolded me for trying to feed healthy birds junk food! I turn around and asked if my travel companions had their cameras out, and as soon as I turned around, the smart (smarter than me) ostrich just snatched the bag of Cheetos. It scared the shit out of me. Oh the laughter from my friends as I got outsmarted by the bird. In retrospect, we should've stopped by one of the farms and see if we could've dine on fresh ostrich, but unfortunately we had to jump back in the car and make it to Monterey before sundown.

So here we are with these ostrich patties. Disappointingly I just stare at them and think what I can do to bring out the natural flavors, and if I'm going to add anything, I'm going to enhance the flavor and not try to change or mask the flavor. It's kind of like when people drown their salads with salad dressing. They taste the dressing, but not the wonderfully delicious salad.

The only thing I can think of is to cook it in a little bit of olive oil in a pan and just add a little salt and pepper. I was thinking of maybe throwing them like they are on top of my BBQ grill and see if I can get that nice flame broiled taste. But because it's low in fat, I'm probably going to get a dry smokey taste. In the end, I just ended up cooking one as a patty and the other like ground beef balls.

I can't say I'm very impressed at this point, other than it's like any lean ground beef. It's not a bad thing if I'm eating for health reasons, but since I'm eating it for flavor, it's not much of anything different. It's just a lean meat. It's healthy. In fact, it's only second to bison meat in terms of calories, fat and protein content.

For a little more than 1 1/2 to 2 times the price of beef, it's not a bad deal if you are health conscious. It's readily available in most stores, including the major grocery chains, in frozen form.

I just wish I was able to get fresh ostrich steaks, if not for the taste, then at least for the novelty of trying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment