Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Who Moved My Cheese?

who moved my cheese?

My friend Cora gave me this book and said to give it a read. I should be able to read it fairly quickly in less than an hour. Now I'm not sure why she wanted to give me this book. Maybe she thought I might be one of the characters in the book, or maybe she knew I would write about it here and it might be helpful for some people. Well, it kind of worked as I think my friend Juan could really learn something from this book.

The book is really a parable about 4 characters, 2 of which are mice and 2 are some human like creature that is small as the mice. They live in a maze and eat cheese. You can't read into the literal description of the settings as it's a symbolism for people and our world. You hear the saying "it's a rat race out there" as we try to make a living from working. The cheese of course is our goal/desires/sustenance/relationship needs.

I'm not going to explain too much about the book, as each person will get something different from reading the book, so I'll let you guys read it yourself. Heck, you can even walk into a bookstore and can breeze through the book with a Starbucks coffee drink in hand at one of the seats.

My friend Juan likes to keep things the same. I use to make fun of him as he would carry his Discman to listen to his music while everyone was carrying iPods. He likes eating the same things, drinking at the same bars, and doing the same routine. He's flying out to see friends on the east coast, and he said "Hopefully, we don't have to do much, and could just sit there drinking beers"

Sorry Juan, but I have to call you out on this. I'm afraid that you are going to be like one of the characters in the book, Hem. Hem didn't want to change and couldn't deal with change. So I'm going to give you this book to read.

available at Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment