Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Jim Lee - Comic Book Genius

Jim Lee comic book smoking a cigar

Continuing with today’s Korean theme, I remember meeting Jim Lee when he barely started drawing comics at a guest appearance for one of the local comic shops. Nobody knew him yet, and he barely starting to do some guest penciling for Marvel comic books. He was busy drawing Rogue for some girl that wanted a picture and nobody really paid any attention to him. Most people were there for the other artists and writers. I wanted a picture too from Jim Lee, but my Mom was getting tired and wanted to leave so I had to hurry and get my comics signed by a few of the artists and writers that were there.

Flash forward a few months (or was that years?) and Jim Lee’s career took off when he started doing the X-Men comic books. I’m still kicking myself for not trying to convince my Mom to wait just a little longer so I could’ve gotten a picture from him. Oh well.

jim lee rogue in the savage land

I haven’t seriously followed any comic books for many many years. It’s probably almost 15 years by now, but I’ll occasionally stop and pick up an issue to read at the store. Not sure what Jim Lee’s status is now, but I think he’s moved onto a more publishing type role instead of the grueling long hours of being an artist. Remember kids, back then, we didn’t use computers to help draw, ink and color comics. So Jim’s attention to detail and complex details set him far above all artists at that time. That picture of Rogue above was what I remember of his style and details.

batman in the rain by Jim Lee

Some more of his work can be found on his deviantART page and go friend him on MySpace

No comments:

Post a Comment