Friday, August 20, 2010

Kids Don't Play Outside Anymore

kids playing outside it's for dad blog
image Monroe's Dragonfly

My previous post about kids not being able to write in cursive, got me to notice another change in our culture: Kids don't play outside anymore. It's a quiet Summer. I remember when I was a kid, we would play from morning until night, or until our parents called us in for dinner. My own son doesn't play outside anymore either.

Whatever happened to wanting to see your friends and play all day during the Summer break? Kids these days, they are all connected indirectly. It's not like they are not social, they are just social in a different way. They connect with each other through texting, playing online games and other ways through the internet.

It's amusing to me as they always knew the internet existed, but to us, it was a relatively recent occurrence. Thinking back, I always thought we had color TV and couldn't imagine how families would gather around near the radio to listen to a program. Just the same, I'm sure kids these days just can't fathom writing a letter on paper and snail mailing it to someone. Hey, don't you want to go over to Pete's house and see him today? "No, I can just see him online later today"

I can still remember struggling to see the ball at dusk as we tried to continue to play stick ball. I think we were much tougher back then, as a little scrape wouldn't stop us from continuing to play. I think we also fought more back then, then see them again the next day and have mutual respect. We were badasses back then.

I see my friend's son just hanging around the house with his friends and asked them if they were going to do anything today. "Nope! It's too hot outside, we don't want to get sweaty" Wow!!! Are you kidding me? I doubt if it's even 80 degrees outside, and you sissy boys are afraid to get sweaty? Oh man.

The only positive I can take away from all this, is I can enjoy a nice quiet Summer and not have to worry about the neighborhood kids tearing up my lawn.


No comments:

Post a Comment